Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Quinoa - Fast quick meal

I had a busy morning that took me from the library, followed by an unexpected visit to the zoo. I had thought about buying a zoo pass, but hadn't gotten around to it, finally today was the day! The sun was shining and the wind was real calm! So, I was in LOVE !



While at the zoo my snack supply had dwindled to yogurt pretzels for Gavin and a small container of almonds for me. 



When I came home I knew I needed to cook something  that was fast, healthy and YUMMY. Since I was out of, tuna, deli meat, and chicken I knew I had to get creative.



I pulled out my bag of quonia in the freezer, added a drizzle of olive to my pan and allowed it to get warm. I started to chop up onion, garlic and then became side tracked with a phone call from a dear friend.



Still I marched on adding my ingredients to the pan only to realize that it was pretty hot and started popping at me! Yikes!



After turning down the heat, I added frozen spinach, quinoa and  pureed cauliflower to the mix... salt and pepper for taste and garlic powder !! Oh YUM !! Can I say YES !!



I tossed and sauteed it in the pan- and THEN plated my dish !



Wow! I was in heaven !!



This was absolutely filling and tasted soo good ! I didn't miss the meat one bit !!



Recipe for quinoa

 2 cups of quinoa  rinsed under cool water using a strainer

Add 4 cups of water to a pot

Bring the quinoa to a boil 

Salt and stir

and bring it at a boil

Skim off any of the stuff that comes to the top

Let it boil at med heat for 10-12 mins

  you should see small holes in the quinoa appear this will mean it's ready

Take off stove and let it sit for a few min- ENJOY !



When it has cooled down you can  freeze some in a gallon size bag, break off pieces to warm up as needed !



Just know that when your food pantry is low on food you can always cook up an awesome meal with a few staples !


No comments:

Post a Comment